Content Marketing Awards, Global, Winner, Best Content Strategy (Starwood Hotels)
The goal of global hotel brand, Starwood (now Marriott), is to connect travellers with accommodation experiences that enhance their stay and facilitate a more memorable visit. But to do this, they needed to shift their typically-transactional marketing experience to something more personal. They wanted to create a content-driven channel to drive incremental booking revenue.
iProspect set the following plan:
- Develop a strategy that puts unique content front and centre.
- Leverage consumer information to create a valuable and user-centric experience.
- Create an amplification framework to drive measureable performance that leads to incremental revenue across key properties in priority markets.
The first objective was to create a content hub that was un-branded, but still enabled Starwood’s brands to use it as a viable promotional channel in a discrete manner.
Through expansive dives into consumer profiling iProspect identified reoccurring ‘interest’ patterns within each of its customer segments: affluent travelers, carefree singles, business travelers, budget conscience families, and older travelers. These interests were then used to inform the key content pillars and targeting matrix for amplification activity.
With the content strategy in place, the MOMENTUM.TRAVEL website was created, providing an experience to aspirational travellers that stands alone as a unique brand. While its content is mostly unbranded, key interest points were paired with subtle nods to correlating brands, where relevant, to drive traffic directly to the brand websites.
A Melbourne Morning - Momentum Travel
iProspect’s amplification program achieved several key objectives with respect to its initial strategic response:
- Optimising Performance: audience insights from the discovery phase allowed quick targeting of audience segments with a high degree of expected engagement.
- Building brand advocates: using various ad units such as Facebook Canvas to leverage video and other engaging creatives, following on MOMENTUM’s own Facebook Page rapidly.
- Remarketing: working with the client’s partner – Possible, remarketing campaigns were executed off the back of the amplification activity delivered against the revenue objective of this project.
- Test and Learn: Each amplification tactic had its advantages, and played a specific supportive role in relation to each other.